Submit an online application by the CSU Deadline:
1. Start at the CalState InfoReady website.
2. Scroll down to and click on "2019-20 Sally Casanova Scholarship."
3. On the right nav, under "Application Tools," click on "Apply."
4. Scroll down past "Login for Registered Users" and click on the "Register" button.
5. To create an account, provide your first and last name, an email address, and a password.
6. Then click “Create an Account.”
7. You will receive an email from the CSU Chancellor’s Office InfoReady Review service asking you to click the “Confirm Account” button.
8. Once again, you will land on the Online Application Website, where you will again click on “2019-20 Sally Casanova Scholarship.”
9. Click on "My Application" and fill out the online Application Form. You may save your work and return to complete your application.
10. Upload to your online application pdfs of your transcripts.
11. Scroll to the bottom of the California Pre-Doctoral Program "How to Apply" page to download a pdf of the Student Budget Plan.
12. In consultation with your Faculty Sponsor, fill out and upload to your online application a pdf of your Student Budget Plan, ensuring that the total is $3,000.
13. In your online application, identify your Faculty Sponsor's name, rank (assistant, associate or full professor) and email address.
14. In your online application, scroll down to the "Reference Letters" section and fill in your Faculty Sponsor's email address.
15. Click "Send Letter Request."
16. Click on "Set Reminder for Letter Writers" and indicate up to five dates when you would like the online system to remind your Faculty Sponsor that her or his recommendation must be uploaded on or before the CSU deadline of February 22, 2019. Once your Faculty Sponsor has uploaded her or his recommendation, the reminders will be discontinued.
17. Check the box next to the question "Would you like to have an e-mail notification letting you know when your Reference Letter(s) have been completed?"
18. Note that is your responsibility to ensure that the recommendation has been uploaded on or before the CSU deadline. If your Faculty Sponsor fails to do so, your application will not be considered.
19. Compose several drafts of your application essays, preferably in consultation with your Faculty Sponsor and the Campus Coordinator.
20. Upload pdfs of each of your three application essays. See formatting requirements below.
21. Meet with the Campus Coordinator to have your online application approved. Email Dr. Viveros to schedule a meeting to take place least one week before the CSU deadline — that is, no later than February 15, 2019.
22. Email as attachments or bring to the meeting with Dr. Viveros hard copies of your application essays and budget form.
23. Submit the online application on or before February 22, 2019.
Documents to be Uploaded as PDFs to Online Application:
Develop a proposed budget (“Student Plan”) for how you will spend your Pre-Doctoral funds during the award year. The activities should total exactly $3,000. Scroll to the bottom of the "How to Apply" page of the California pre-Doctoral Program website to find a blank "Student Budget/ Plan."
PDF file name: Your Name, Campus, Student Budget
The Pre-Doctoral Program application is supported by three essays, of 300-600 words each, in which you will address:
- The field of study in which you would like to pursue a doctorate. The elements of your educational, research, community service, and/or personal experience that have led you to this interest;
- The research questions that will drive your proposed research. The historical and theoretical perspectives of this research topic. How your proposed research will fill a gap in the literature. How your research will contribute to the greater good.
- Why you wish to obtain a doctorate, including your interest in becoming a faculty member at a college or university. Experiences that have helped prepare you for a career as a faculty member.
Header: Your Name, SF State, Essay Number (1, 2 or 3) and/or Prompt.
PDF file name: Your Name, SF State, Essay Number (1, 2, or 3).
Be sure to upload a transcript from each institution you have attended, including community colleges or other colleges or universities, even if you did not receive a degree from these institutions. Although unofficial transcripts are allowed, if at all possible please submit official transcripts. You will have to open the envelopes in which the official transcripts are sealed in order to scan and upload them.
Faculty Sponsor Form and Faculty Sponsor Recommendation letter
Your Faculty Sponsor will fill out the form and submit the letter online. The Faculty Sponsor form and recommendation instructions can be found at the bottom of the California Pre-Doctoral Program "How to Apply" page. You as applicant are responsible for ensuring that your Faculty Sponsor submits the online recommendation by the CSU deadline: February 22, 2019.